The Great Feminist Manga and Anime List: Read or Die, Read or Dream and R.O.D. the TV (OVA, manga, anime)
Read or Die
Read or Die is a franchise centered around the idea of fighting evil…with LITERACY! Or more accurately, mutant paper manipulating powers that allow those blessed with the abilities to form paper into ‘anything from flying machines to bizarre creatures to stuff that can slice through metal. These “Paper Masters” are typically quirky bibliophiles.
The series spans several media and each continuity is separate though they share concepts and characters. There’s the light novels that started it all, the Read or Die manga, the Read or Dream manga, the Read or Die three episode OVA and the 26 episode ROD the TV anime that acts as a distant sequel to the OVA and unites the characters of the Read or Die and Read or Dream continuities. I’ll outline all these different stories and what’s good or bad about them in comparison to the others in their own sections.
I edited this review a LOT, cutting down on a lot of the excess (this was one of my most unwieldy early reviews) clarifiyng things and adding all the pictures. Finally, I remember to reblog the updates.
glompcat asked: R.O.D.
1. The first character I first fell in love with: Yomiko
2. The character I never expected to love as much as I do now: hmmm, Michelle maybe? I think I loved everyone pretty much immediately, but Michelle more as I went on so.
3. The character everyone else loves that I don’t: No idea.
4. The character I love that everyone else hates: I HAVE NO IDEA WHO ROD FANDOM HATES. Nancy maybe? or Hisa?
5. The character I used to love but don’t any longer: I still love everyone.
6. The character I would totally smooch: Maggie
7. The character I’d want to be like: Nenene
8. The character I’d slap: Joker
9. A pairing that I love: Yomiko/Nancy/Nenene, Hisa/Anita
10. A pairing that I despise: Yomiko/Donny or whatever his name was? like I was so disappointed when the ROD manga was Yomiko pining over her boyfriend ugh