joining the scouting legion…but sobbing because she’s so afraid of titans
she takes one out with a just fucking AXE
NO 3DM GEAR OR SWORDS
then she’s all sweet and caring when rescuing that child
BACK TO BADASS MODE
SHE STABS IT IN THE EYE WITH JUST AN ARROW
…so yeah. she’s so much more than just the potato girl.
Over the years I’ve read a lot of shoujo-ai and yuri manga, and it’s incredibly hard just to find stuff that’s not targetted to male audiences, let alone stuff that’s actually good. So, I decided to make a huge master rec list for all the shoujo-ai and yuri manga I know of, with a list of content tags and trigger warnings for each of them. (Click on the titles, they’re all links to read each manga on the list)
this is the most beautiful post ever invented :’) so much to read
Seriously though upfront i have to note about translation:
-“anima mates” the translator isn’t even trying anymore
- okay “we have no need for menfolk” what the fuck are you doing translator the scene is still flawless tho and I was relieved they at least kept Rei saying “YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT” and Yaten replies “NOPE THAT MEANS YOU’RE A TRUE SAILOR SOLDIER”
so the requirements for being a Sailor Soldier (according to Yaten) are “discard any need for men they can fuck off” im so wow awesome.
- “you two sure are chummy holding hands first thing in the morning”
"why don’t you go hold Mamoru’s"
HOTARU HAS NO TIME FOR YOUR SHIT USAGI FIND YOUR OWN SIGNIFICANT OTHER SHE’S GOT HERS
- Ami’s like “THERE ARE ONLY BOYS IN MY COMPUTER CLUB I HATE IT SO MUCH I NEED GIRLS STAT” u are such a misandrist dear oh and then she’s like “perhaps we need something with more lowbrow appeal” Ami…what are you…planning to do??? to make the computer club lowbrow??? are u going to advertise for free porn???
-so Seiya just literally shoves a hand in Yaten’s face when Yaten talks shit it is an automatic response “no. stop. don’t be urself right now pls”
-there are like twenty billion young girls screaming Haruka and Michirus name at the concert like they didn’t even come for the Three Lights. This would be like a severely mixed-audience concert like half lesbians lusting after the girls who awakened their sexuality and half girls who are fans of bishie boy bands but ACTUALLY IT’S ALL QUEER
- THE FACT THAT MINA GETS INTO AN INTENSE ARGUMENT WITH CHIBI CHIBI BECAUSE SHE WILL LITERALLY ARGUE WITH A CHILD FOR DARING TO COPY HER
- Yaten: “why are we going to school”
Taiki: BECAUSE LEARNING IS FUN!
Taiki like how is it that you function
- YATEN TAKES HER LETTER TO MAMORU AND CRITICIZES USAGI’S HANDWRITING YOU DICK
- I really love the Senshi’s various reactions to the Starlights
Taiki: *gets better score than Ami*
Ami: OKAY they’re enemies we need to fight them
*girls squeal over Seiya*
Haruka: yes lets fight them right now
Michiru: now calm down Haruka and..
Yaten: yo girl i scoff at your choice of lipstick color
Michiru: ….FUCKING OBLITERATE THEM OFF THE FACE OF THIS PLANET *snaps lipstick in half HOW DID YOU DO THAT MICHIRU IT’S MADE OF METAL*
Haruka: oh jesus everyone run
Mako: someone who likes plants cannot be a bad person <3 (Mako is Tsubomi)
AmiMichiruHaruka: YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT MAKO
-so can I talk about how sad and scary it is Usagi just refuses to remember Mamoru was killed in front of her? to the point where her head hurts if she even thinks about him? She just PRETENDS IT DIDN’T HAPPEN and hopes that mean it didn’t and that is just so…this girl has had to deal with so much shit that she is tired. she is so tired and she just decides not to accept it. “nope not dealing with this”.
- but there’s also the fact the single only person she can talk to in order to try to figure out what’s going on with Mamoru is his stalker and only friend Asanuma. And Asanuma’s like ” wow i thought he was cold not to call me but you neither??? Well Mamoru’s NOT GOOD AT WRITING maybe that it.” like where did that come from… has he read Mamoru’s poetry i bet he has.
- I just really love the mythological implications of every planet having a guardian and there are apparently TRAINING CAMPS ON SOME OF THEM? to force awakening and train helpers? POTENTIAL SLAYER type shit before Buffy was even a thing. And it’s pretty much directly stated this breeds bitterness. You have all these people who just never had the chance, and then Galaxia comes along and gives it to them after destroying their planet. She probably finds the person who feels like a nobody and is like “you don’t have to be chosen here’s the power i just destroyed your entire planet i took care of your Senshi so easily now you can prove you were the better one for the job you can start over”
- OH MY GOD so Tin Nyanko (in disguise) is like “You can only trust fellow girls. Except for those who dress up and act like boys. You can’t trust what they say” and Usagi reacts to this fuckery with confusion and disgust and this girl is like “who are you guys talking about is Usagi a takarazuka fan” AND OMG NAOKO YOU JUST HAD TO DIDN’T YOU.
- “my unrequited love may involve the biggest social status gap in the galaxy” sucks to be you Seiya
- Everything…is always my fault. Everyone…gets dragged into my messes…because of the power I hold.
If I hadn’t become a Sailor Soldier…would I have ever evenmet such comrades…much less had them extend me a helping hand?… If the Silver Crystal didn’t exist…would I have even been born?
stuff like this is why it’s my favorite arc. Usagi’s power brings her so much pain, is such a burden. But at the same time, it’s who she is. It’s her reason for being. It’s how she met her friends. It’s what ties them together. So many people hate her for being strong, for being powerful- she hates herself sometimes because of that. But at the same time, she can’t give it up. Because her power is what made her who she is, the source of her happiness as well.
I just love that. I love that Usagi’s power and identity it explored in that way. She recognizes the trouble it’s caused, how much of a burden- but it’s a necessary burden, because her strength is the source of all the good things she’s got and done. So often such a thing is simplified, especially if it’s a woman as “power= punishment” but it’s not the case here. It’s not like it doesn’t hurt, but ultimately Usagi embraces her power and doesn’t let anyone take it from her.