seriously like I find it so adorable that Ed and Al are so intensely enraged at the idea of Roy dating someone who’s not Riza
They are just such earnest babies.
DOES THIS MEAN HE IS DATING MULTIPLE WOMEN? WHEN HE HAS RIZA? HOW FUCKING DARE HE!!!
And Al is just like “that is the opposite of the kind of guy I want to be omg playboys omg emotionally manipulating women h8 so much never getting over that shit you are on my list Roy”
and Ed’s like “I DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW WHEN YOU’VE GOT A REALLY INCREDIBLE TALENTED WONDERFUL WOMAN WHO IS AMAZING AND SAVES YOU ALL THE TIME AND IS JUST WOW, HOW COULD YOU EVER DATE ANYONE ELSE EVER? HOW CAN OTHER ROMANTIC INTERESTS EVEN EXIST FOR U?”
“Ed i feel like you’re projecting”
THE FUNNIEST THING ABOUT THE WHOLE ARGUMENT OF ROY AND ED’S SUPER BIG IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP REALLY, IN TERMS OF CANON, IS THAT:
- RIZA IS THE ONE WHO HAS STRONG RELATIONSHIPS WITH ALL OF THE GOLDEN TRIO, NOT…ROY? SHE IS CLOSER TO ALL OF THEM THAN HE IS?
- ED DOESN’T EVEN TAKE ROY ALL THAT SERIOUSLY UNTIL AFTER HE TALKS WITH HER AND HEARS HOW MUCH SHE BELIEVES IN HIM?
- EDWARD SORT OF ADMIRES RIZA A LOT?? (but winry more)
- (bc you know he accused winry of trying to be hot by wearing earrings that Riza wears)
- and so it’s like??? okay yes roy and edward influence each other but Riza influences them both like 2,000x more?
- Riza actively is the bridge to making Roy into the man he is and relatable to Edward and the kids like without her it just falls apart.
- roy and ed’s relationship in canon directly relates back to how much they like and respect riza hawkeye
Yeah, Riza is the one Ed feels comfortable talking to about his problems, Riza is the one Ed confides to about what happened with Winry, Riza is the one who casually notices Ed loves Winry and in turn makes him like, actually realize that. Riza’s the one whose house Ed visits, Riza’s the one Ed feels comfortable asking about Ishval.
I find Roy and Ed’s relationship interesting with the fact Ed really doesn’t like Roy- he doesn’t! He cares about him, and he respects and trusts him (not as much as he trusts most of the people he trusts), but he’s not going to try to talk to him about his problems or hang out with him ever, which is something he canonically is down with doing with Riza. I can’t blame Ed at all bc a) he has huge issues with male authority figures, especially ones he knows are willing to manipulate him and b) his first impression of Roy is Roy literally running in, grabbing him by the shirt and screaming at him at the lowest point in his life, making him like, go to near tears. I think that does color Ed’s perception of Roy and a first impression like that is a hard thing for him to get over, it would be for me.
And he and Al will never get Roy? Like right after this Roy goes off with a lady, and Ed and Al have no idea it’s one of Roy’s Mom’s employees and Ed is like “WHAT THE FUCK AFTER WHAT I JUST SAID HE’S SO HORRIBLE I HATE HIM SO OFFENDED!” and Al actually says “He’s the kind of grow-up I never want to grow up to be!” They are both just super offended and throwing all this side-eye at Roy. He manipulative and deceptive (for good reasons) and the Elric bros are very much not? They’ll never be comfortable with that.