Yep. And Aloe -san’s nickname is “natural born mama”. Her apron is shopped out of the us airing of bw, I’ve also heard her skin is lightened.
Japan isn’t exactly a country of diversity. Nearly 99% of it’s population are “ethnic Japanese” (according to Wikipedia). So given this statistic, whenever I see anime characters who are not fully Japanese and/or with brown skin and are positive role models*, I get a bit excited. Here are a few characters I could remember from either anime/manga I have watched/read or heard of.
For a more comprehensive list, visit the Color World website for “Dark-Skinned… Characters in Anime.” I came across the list a few years past and was amazed at its depth.
And now I sit back and wait for people to ask why Sailor Pluto is up there.
*I read somewhere that Iris (Pokemon: B&W), a brown-skinned girl, is from the jungle and likes to swing on vines. >.<
lol now let’s go back and count how many of these aren’t insulting depictions as well as how many are main characters
In this image alone I can point out as far as fairly minor characters:
- Meiou Setsuna (sorry, she was like the least depicted senshi of the bunch)
- The little girl in the bottom left corner (an extremely minor FMA character who showed up in like one episode, maybe two)
- Roze (minor FMA character who showed up more than twice, but less than 10 times)
- The guy directly in the middle in the leftmost row; wasn’t he a couple episode character in Michiko to Hacchin?
- Killer B and pretty much everyone brown in Kumogakure is, considering Naruto, minor as fuck, though admittedly they show up more than some of the long-time Konoha rookies xD (*coughShinocough*)
And looking at the full list, these are some of the MORE known brown characters…
The one that looks like Mammy is Lenora, a gym leader in Pokemon. (Third, second row from the top.)
Oh, and I didn’t even point out how Killer B does this wack ass enka rap in 99% of his sentences that everyone hates and side-eyes him for.
Also Akio is a creepy sister-rapist.
Setsuna is not the least depicted in the manga. She probably got more screen time than Haruka and Michiru, if only because she played a pretty big role in R and they didn’t come into S. You could still say she’s minor, but not moreso than the other Outers.
Sorry setsuna feels carry on.
Paninya’s fairly minor, though she’s awesome. Rose was treated so badly in FMA 2003. Jerso should be here if we’re including FMA:B peeps?
Edit: Oh, Paninya and Rose were mentioned. Yeah about four episodes/manga chapters